Saturday, June 04, 2011

You Missed Out: Thao & Mirah


I missed out on Thao and Mirah's show at the Empty Bottle last night, but one of my favorite things about summer in Chicago is how easy it is to catch great shows for such little cost. Thao and Mirah played another full set of music today at the Do Division fest, just moments before a thunderstorm chased us out of the street and under whatever shelter we could find. I decided to just bike home, because Thao and Mirah was what I was most looking forward to at this year's fest anyway. But Bonobo is a headliner, so I wouldn't be surprised if Division Street gets crowded again.

Thao and Mirah were great though. If I can label them as such, they're easily my favorite supergroup. Mirah is the owner of what I believe to be the sweetest voice I've ever heard, and Thao is just a rocker. They work well together, whether they taking turns singing, fingerpicking their guitars, or assisting their drummer in any manner of percussion. Mirah even did a patty-cake routine for an entire song.

Yes, these ladies are cute. And that's what we love about them. It's obvious that they love music, and they play it with joy. Add in Chicago summer weather and you can't go wrong. Do Division has a reputation for booking great indie acts, rivaled only by Wicker Park fest.

Yeah it's here. It's hot. The music is loud and outdoors. Time to get stressed out about which shows and events we attend and the ones we have to miss out on. But of course, it's worth the cost of a bike ride through a summer rain.

No comments: