Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I Got Robbed?


Cars are horrible. If we hadn't moved to Florida, I don't think we would have ever had to get one. But here we drive, fattening as we go. Of course there are good reasons to own a car, but I usually forget what they are. I think everybody should just ride bicycles.

I walked out to the car yesterday in hopes of making a trip to the grocery store. But I had to wait, because there was glass all over the front passenger seat. The window had been smashed. I figured that the CD player was gone, because there's nothing else of value in the car. But it was still there. So now I felt confused. Did someone smash our window by accident? Was there a drunken stumble late last night? Oh wait, I remembered, our GPS.

That was another device we had to buy in Florida. You see, Orlando is a horrible city, whoever did their urban planning was either mentally retarded or five years old. In Chicago, we have a grid of streets. Our streets run east-west, north-south, and only a handful angle northwest or southeast. In Orlando, everything is a curvy maze. And there are dead ends everywhere. If not useless man-made dead ends or gigantic gated communities, then lakes interrupt any possibility for a straight road in this idiotic city. So in order to keep our sanity while driving through this hideous hell-hole, we bought a GPS.

We used it in Illinois, it was a convenience. But now that it's gone, it isn't much to cry over. You can't really get lost in Chicago once you've lived here for a few years, the sense of direction becomes too strong. So I basically shrug. I wish it hadn't happened, it was wrong, but I'm more annoyed by the broken window than the lost GPS.

My dad has been ripped off at least three times. He doesn't lock his cars anymore, because he would rather the thief just open the door if they want to steal from him so badly. The inconvenience of broken glass is incredibly annoying.

A few years ago, the rear tire on my bicycle was stolen. Now THIS hurt. A bicycle is such a beautiful machine. It represents such positivity, healthiness, purity. A car is a death machine. It costs thousands of dollars and pollutes the world so we can get from point A to point B a few minutes faster. It deserves to be broken into. Whoever steals things out of a car, I can't really be mad at them. It's thousands of dollars sitting beside the sidewalk. But the person who steals a bicycle, now this is truly a disturbed individual. Just knowing that this person is interested in bike parts, it hurts my soul.

When you're stealing a bike, you're tampering with a small community of people who want the world to be a better place. The person who steals a bike basically says "I don't care about you, what matters to you, or why you have this bike. All I know is that I want to take this for myself, so I am going to do that." What's worse, this person never even shows his face to you. He takes the bike when you're away from it. He sneakily disassembles your method of transportation and turns it into junk.

Why we value the things we value is oftentimes a mystery. But stealing something immediately devalues whatever it is. And I don't mean value in regards to money, I mean that sense of ownership. When you steal something, you know you don't own it. You know that you stole it. You may sell it, or you may use it for yourself, but you'll never value it.

I have lost a few things of value on occasion, but I have also gained. As for my car? I'm still not sure how I feel about that one yet.

But if anyone ever steals my bike, I will become very sad indeed.

1 comment:

Esther Knicely said...

I love this post. So true, hilarious, and also speaks to the colloquialisms associated with Christian culture that has adapted these "biblical" rules all Christians must adhere to in order to be considered "in" or actually Christian...when in reality they are not really "biblical" nor do they point to a anyone as being spiritually superior. well done.