Monday, June 29, 2009

You Missed Out: Black Moth Super Rainbow


It was only 45 minutes, but nobody can ever complain about a free show. And Black Moth Super Rainbow was certainly a trip to see at noon in Millennium Park. This was a match made in the cornea of the third eye of mythological beasts. But BMSR were able to pull off something that I haven't seen since Andrew Bird's show last year, they got the kids out of their chairs and dancing up front.

People were blowing bubbles, grooving without abandon and probably high on this or that. It was a fun, psychedelic 45 minutes. For most of the kids here, it was early morning. What a strange Monday in the city of Chicago. College students mixed in with wandering tourists and Taste of Chicago strays. It was motley. And why shouldn't it be? After all, this is the city where wind blows. If the right ear catches the fuzz and noise of a psych-rock indie rock show, the listener ad the music find each other.

And look at the reward for trudging out to the park so early in the day. Just look at that picture up there. The lead singer sat on the ground the whole time, mumbling into that pink stick. He sounded like a robot on acid. And if that isn't the silliest hat I've ever seen, then I don't know hats. And the overweight ninja. What was going on here?

I have no idea what I just experienced. Families, old couples, hippies and everybody was here for this event. Why? What were thinking?

Boy am I confused. Black Moth Super Rainbow really did a number on me. But I'm glad that they did. I would have regretted having skipped this one.

Enjoy the good music, folks. Don't miss out.

No comments: