Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hasn't Come Out Yet: Sleep Whale


I used to make a regular habit of emailing publicists of record labels about new music for the Relevant Music Blog. I have not mentioned Total Darkness Vs. Blinding Light to a single one of them. And yet somehow, I received an email from a publicist today regarding a new band that he wanted me to talk about on Total Darkness Vs. Blinding Light. I was so excited to find out that somebody other than an old college friend has actually paid attention to my blog. I have absolutely no idea how he found out about me, but I am happy that he did.

So here it is. Sleep Whale. From Western Vinyl (where you’ll also find vinyl releases from Here We Go Magic, J Tillman and Dirty Projectors), the record is called Little Brite. I downloaded the album link this afternoon, but decided to wait until tonight before listening to it. I’m glad I did, because this is perfect nighttime music.

I’ve been a big fan of quiet instrumental music since I first moved into the city. There’s something about the city lights that just need an Album Leaf or Unwed Sailor to accompany them. Now Sleep Whale is officially joining the ranks.

Listen to the track below, “Josh Likes Me.” If The Books took away all of their found sounds and focused on their beautiful acoustic work and calming polyrhythms, this would be it. Perfect finger-tapping and enchanting tones make up for one of the most pleasant EPs I’ve heard this year.

It comes out in a month, on July 14th. Check it out, you’ll probably be glad you did.

Josh Likes Me

No comments: