Sunday, June 28, 2009

Love and Happiness Exists


After tomorrow’s post, Total Darkness vs. Blinding Light must take a very short break. I will be in the wilderness, camping. I’m assuming that wi-fi isn’t available at campsites, so on Tuesday and Wednesday, just read something else. Maybe the Bible, that’s always good. Or some Carl Jung (that’s what I’ve been wrapped up in lately), that’ll satisfy your subconscious for a while.

But when I do return to my blog, it will be with tidings from Milwaukee. We’re heading out to Summerfest on Wednesday for Bob Dylan. I will have a lot to say I’m sure, for this is an important event in my life. A sort of fulfillment of prophecy. If you care about me at all (as a friend, acquaintance, secret crush, whatever), make sure you check out this blog again on Thursday.

But I do have something coming tomorrow. A “You Missed Out” post. I’m not going to tell you what’s happening, but it might involve my first acid trip. Okay, not really. But check out tomorrow’s post to see what you're about to miss out on. If you’re like me, you love getting told how badly you screwed up. Negative reinforcement is the best reinforcement.

Speaking of screwing up, did anybody see the Cubs today? Wow. I know that our White Sox aren’t so hot either, but sheesh. Were there two easy fly balls in one inning that the Cubs weren’t able to catch? As a Sox fan, it felt good to watch that game. But the Cubs were so bad, I actually felt some empathy for my northside brothers and sisters. I wish you all a quick emotional recovery. I’ll wait until then, but once your wounds have healed, I’ll be rubbing it in your face pretty hard. Right now, I have pity on you.

This is a very informational post. No poetics. No dismal bullshit. I guess I’m tired. Maybe it’s the heat. Maybe it’s just one of those days. But I am in no mood for storytelling now. I admit, I am using a grand total of one half of my ass on this post. And I’m sorry.

But it was a ridiculous week. Tons of celebrities died, I got a horrible new issue of Relevant Magazine in my mailbox for some reason and the humidity didn’t let up for days. Plus, I still don’t have a job. Things are rough.

Still, I want to end this post on a high note. On Wednesday, an Al Green song came to my attention (V103 folks.). Love and Happiness. You can find it in my player on the right. If you need to feel a little bit of goodness in your soul, do give it a spin. The funk hit me so nice a few days ago that I actually exclaimed, “oh my God!” “Yes!” “Wooo!”

Because, for all of my doomsday talk, there actually are such things as love AND happiness. They do exist in this world. May we all experience their goodness soon. They are surely much better experiences to have than hate and misery. Believe me, I know what I’m talking about here.

By the way, that sweet art at the top of the page was created by Ian Johnson. Brilliant, yes? Maybe the best picture I've ever posted in this blog. Dig it.

And, go Sox.

No comments: